EMTHONJENI WOMEN’S FORUM (EWF) is implementing economic empowerment activities
at local level towards heightening women’s economic potential in marginalised and
disadvantaged communities in Zimbabwe to reduce gender based violence. It has been
observed that economically empowered women are better able to tackle domestic violence
and also lead others out of this traumatic situation.
As such our economic strengthening work is based on educating and empowering women
with various livelihoods skills. These economic empowerment strategies seek to empower
marginalized women so that they become active citizens who are able to challenge unequal
power relations and influence important decisions about their community’s natural and
EMTHONJENI WOMEN’S FORUM (EWF) economic empowerment work is premised on the
- SDG 1: No poverty- EWF encourages women to engage in Income Generating
Activities as a livelihood strategy.
- SDG 2: Zero hunger- Through the Income Generating Projects the women are able to
have established sources of income.
- SDG 5: Gender equality-the women economic empowerment program has multiplier
effect in promoting women leadership, equal access to resources and economic
- SDG 8: Decent work and economic growth- the small businesses that the women and
are engaged in are reducing the rate of unemployment and contributing to a
sustained economic growth.
SO FAR THE ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT STRATEGY USING THE INTERNAL SAVINGS AND
LENDINGS MODEL HAS YIELDED THE FOLLOWING:
- Improved livelihood sources for women.
- Increased income for women.
- Women able to procure assets and provide food for their families.
- Economic strengthening of women especially survivors of violence through support
to ISAL groups.
- Leadership training to empower women in decision-making at household and public
spheres through life skills sessions for young women in the community and
leadership and participation engagements with women in targeted committees.